Saturday, March 8, 2008

Is Law of Attraction Simply Avoiding Reality?

Vanessa and I had a discussion last night about whether using law of attraction to deal with life's crises is simply a way of avoiding reality. We concluded that it wasn't, but it took us some dialogue to reach that conclusion.

Our thought was that, from the onset, you can't simply avoid negative aspects in your life or responsibilities that are staring you in the face. The credit card bill needs to be paid, the dent in your car needs to be repaired, you got into a fight with your spouse/friend/boss, etc. No amount of meditation is going to make the bill or dent disappear (although many yogis and gurus may say otherwise - that's a whole different topic that Vanessa will comment on at some point :-)).

We do live in a tangible world (again, yogis and gurus argue otherwise, but let's continue). Life happens and it's ok to acknowledge that it does. Law of attraction does not mean ignoring or fighting the bill, the dent or the fight or letting those instances bring you to an angry or sad place; rather, it means allowing life's annoyances to exist.

The law of allowing basically allows (there's that word again!) it to be ok for the bill, the dent, the fight to exist in your reality. Law of allowing means acknowleging that negative thing and not trying to fight or resist it. Law of allowing is proclaiming "I see you bill/dent/fight, I except that you are here, your reason for being here may lend to something good, but in the mean time, I'm going to change my vibration to make you better!"

Here's a personal example. I drive a pretty old black Pontiac. The parking garage at my office job has this white column right where my parking space is and, on multiple occassions, I've dinged my car door on that stupid white column :-) At first, I was so annoyed with all the white marks on my car! But then I made a declaration to myself that I wasn't going to worry about the white marks - they were cosmetic issues that didn't concern the operation car. I was going to move on from the matter and simply take the car to the body shop when I was ready.

Then I was in a car accident where another driver collided into my dinged up door. No one was hurt, but the car door needed to be replaced. The only way for the new door to match my old car was to repaint the entire car! With the new paint job, all the old dings and scratches were completely gone, paid for by the other driver's insurance company!

That, my friends, is law of allowing.

No comments: